Sunday 18 September 2011

[FIX] SMB Connect to Server Error (Mac to Windows)

Problem:
I have a Macbook Pro (MBP) running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I also have a desktop running Windows 7. I was able to connect to my Windows PC using 'Connect to Server' (Finder...Go...Connect to Server). This would allow me to share files and stream music between the two machines. This was working fine, but then one day it no longer reconnected to my Windows PC and would receive an error message claiming that the server couldn't be connected to and I should contact the system's administrator. I tried restarting the PC and Mac, but it still wouldn't connect.

Solution:


I managed to solve the issue by following the steps found in this thread. Although the thread was talking about having random wireless issues, I found that the solution also fixed the problem I was facing above. Two birds, one stone :)

1. Open network preferences from your WiFi icon in the menu bar. Then click advanced. Delete the network that is giving you problems.

2. Open Keychain in the utilities folder of your hard drive. Find the passwords that are stored for your particular network and delete them. There may be multiple passwords for your network, so search carefully.

3. Repair permissions using the disk utility.

4. Reboot the computer.

5. Reenter your network data to log into the network.

No comments:

Post a Comment